This is a post I recently put on Moodle.org to answer an inquiry on available Moodle e-Portfolio options. Thought it might also interest the wider community. So here it is copy and pasted from Moodle.org for your reading pleasure.
My recommendation is to use something external to moodle (like Mahara). Especially with the upcoming release of the Portfolio API in moodle 2.0, this will allow for better integration with external Portfolio’s
The reason’s for external for me include:
- When moodle is reset each year, what happens to portfolio data. When this is external I don’t worry about this.
- Do you want your portfolio to allow for access from users who are not moodle users (i.e. parents, colleagues, future employers, etc)
Now my Mahara sales pitch (please note I do not work for them nor am I paid for this)
- One of the lead developers of Mahara is also the lead on the moodle Porfolio API. This is not at all suggesting that Mahara will work best with this as the API is open to all who wish to use it. It does whoever suggest the two will work well right off the bat
- Mahara is government funded. this means it is in good hands and won’t disappear in a hurry
- It is being built from the ground up and specialised as a Portfolio. Let moodle do what moodle does best and Mahara do its thing.
- Here is an example of how it can also be used for student activity. Each project link is a students portfolio. This live example now has me sold on this app
That all being said, best thing to do is to more fully scope your own requirements. There are a few portfolio options around for moodle at the moment that are worth checking out. Once you know more what you want, you can then pick the project that suits best. Portfolio’s to check out include:
External to moodle with Integration
- Mahara – come on, you didnt see that coming.
- ELGG portfolio – An external system with a block for moodle integration
Built into moodle
- Open University’s MyStuff
- Exabis e-portfolio
- SPDC Porfolio – lot of work has gone into this one by Matt Oquist
- Simple Portfolio – as the name suggests, a simplistic but effective portfolio solution. A little outdated now
For more information I suggest you take a good look through the moodle Portfolio forums as well